PROS & CONS OF TEMPORARY HOUSING VS. EXTENDED STAY HOTELS
When you’re traveling for weeks or months at a time, you need a comfortable home away from home where you can recharge for another busy day. Two common options are to rent a short-term apartment as temporary housing or book a room in an extended stay hotel. Explore the pros and cons of each to help you make the best choice.
Temporary Housing Pros & Cons
- Predictably priced: While temporary housing is often more expensive on the front end, you don’t have to worry about extra fees for additional services you don’t need, like parking, laundry, and housekeeping.
- Home away from home: The goal of temporary housing is to offer all the comforts of home, including laundry and kitchen appliances, private sleeping areas, and functional furnishings.
- Fully equipped kitchen: It’s healthier and more convenient to stay in temporary housing with a fully equipped kitchen that has all the cookware and tableware you need.
- Quieter, more private atmosphere: While hotels line highways to attract travelers, temporary housing is often located in residential settings further away from noisy roads and late-night revelers.
- Cons:More research required: Finding temporary housing with everything you need may take more effort than booking an extended stay hotel room.
- Fewer amenities: You won’t have access to valet parking, housekeeping, complimentary breakfast, room service, fitness centers, or swimming pools that are often available at hotels.
- Less flexibility: Some temporary accommodations require a minimum one-month stay.
- More complicated setup: Expect a formal credit check, lease signing, and utility setup when renting temporary housing.
Extended Stay Hotel Pros & Cons
- Budget-friendly: Hotels can often grant a more affordable long-term stay than temporary housing.
- Flexible: Stay for a few days or a few months, and extend your stay easily if needed.
- Conveniently located: Hotels typically offer in-town accommodations within walking distance of public transportation, restaurants, shops, convention centers, and other attractions.
- Great amenities: Ask about room service, housekeeping, Wi-Fi access, and laundry service. These amenities sometimes cost extra, but they make your stay more convenient.
- Extra fees: Taxes, resort fees, and other add-ons may affect the cost of your extended hotel stay.
- Limited in-unit appliances: Your room may have nothing but a microwave and mini-fridge, depending on where you book your stay.
- Less shareable accommodations: A studio hotel room offers little privacy when traveling with others.
Book Your Stay at The Beverly
Still can’t decide between temporary housing and an extended stay hotel? The Beverly offers the best of both worlds. Our 20 premium suites located in suburban Beverly, MA, are designed for guests who want comfortable, flexible, furnished accommodations. We offer the apartment-like feel of temporary housing with all the convenient hotel amenities you desire. Free Wi-Fi, free parking, 24-hour mobile concierge, keyless entry, flexible self-check-in—these are just a few features that guests love about our extended stay hotel! Book your stay online today, or contact us at 978-773-9853 for more information.